Re: AMSAT Website Redesign Available to the BB

On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 21:08, Jens Schmidt wrote:
> Hi Emily,
>

> First point is that my browser is mis-detected as Mozilla, it's not,
> it is Netscape.

And netscape is derived from Mozilla and advertises itself as Mozilla
(Netscape x.x)

> Second point is that your suggestion that I should update my browser
> per your list is way off track.

Not so much as you might think.

> Your priority of (the store, area 51), seems to me mis-directed, since it
> is not going to be visible till such time that Amsat-NA reverts to the WWW
> standard (99.99%), which appears to be HTML 3.0 / 4.0, and not "clever"
> style sheets, some form of java or cgi scripts.

The current HTML standard is 4.01, the current WWW Standards are either
HTML 4.01 or XHTML 1.0

You can check this out at http://www.w3c.org which is the world wide web
consortium.

If you check out this page:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amsat.org

You will see that the amsat page is almost completely HTML 4.01
standard, there are only 2 errors on the page that don't meet the
standard, and both of those are trivial.

You can also validate the CSS to see that it too is valid (and CSS is in
the HTML and XHTML specs).

So please, if you're using netscape 3 or 4, you're software is way out
of date and obsolete according to the world wide web consortium, Emily
isn't mandating that you upgrade, the internet is.

If you're using Netscape 6 or 7, the page should display fine as they
follow HTML 4.01.

As for the whole lynx thing, I'm not for denying any browser access, but
if it can't render html 4.01 or xhtml 1.0, let it render it poorly, its
not the websites job to police the browser, just to serve valid content.

> 73 Jens    ZL2TJT
>
> AMSAT-ZL #218
> AMSAT-DL #0402518

Ryan Butler  KB0JQO