Fwd: Echo...???

>Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 23:31:33 -0800
>To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
>From: "Edward R. Cole" <al7eb@acsalaska.net>
>Subject: Echo...???
>
>Tried several passes...last was directly overhead ascending north
0703-0718utc per NOVA (orbit#18) and keps with epoch time = 4181.2814243100.

>Using a 3/4 WL ground plane and FT-847 but nothing heard that I could say
was definite.  I listened in USB and FM and perhaps heard a slight rise in
noise level around 435.150 MHz.  With some reporting hearing with HT's I am
confused why I am not hearing it.

>The 436CP42 is still lying on the roof from being blown down a year
ago...I guess I need some "horsepower" to hear it?

>I figured this satellite would be easy to hear?  Is it only being turned
on over the lower-48?

>73's, Ed - AL7EB

I got some good suggestions and listened tonight at 0134-0143 utc (orbit
#27 per NOVA), a short pass rising only 7-degrees off the eastern horizon.
I dug out my old 432 preamp and tested it at work (20 dB gain) and inserted
in the coax from my 3/4 WL whip over ground plane.  I heard the squelch
break and notices a very slight rise in audio noise level by tuning around
435.153-151.  The s-meter rose from an s-3.5 to near s-8 so I guess a lower
NF and some gain was the trick!  Nothing to hear, really, though.

Tnx to everyone who replied.  I will get a UHF yagi up for better
reception, later on.

73's Ed - AL7EB