Re: [aprssig] ECHO satellite and APRS?

On 6/30/04 at 3:37 PM Robert Bruninga <bruninga@usna.edu> sent:

>The APRS-Internet struture does this for ARISS and
>PCSAT and other UI digipeating satellites globally,
>so how do we want to strucutre the similar data from
>ECHO?  And why not also accumulate all packets so that
>the WEB would easily capture the complete
>image of all files and make them available without
>human intervention to hams worldwide...

I am not familiar with the PACSAT protocol, is it binary? If so, the
APRS IS
cannot be used, you would need to create a separate internet system to
collect
the packets...if this was done, it would be easy to then identify the
APRS
packets on this server and forward them to the APRS IS.

The two possibilities I see are to create an APRS IS style internet
system
(PACSAT IS?), which consolidates and removes the duplicate packets, in
which
case the IGate software is very simple, just forwards what it hears to
the
PACSAT IS. A findU style parser could parse the PACSAT IS stream into
data.

The other possibility is to use an existing PACSAT ground station
software
program, and add the capability to send what it hears to a web server
directly,
without an Internet System. This is the easier option, especially if
someone has
access to the code of a ground station client (a quick search of
sourceforge did
not show any open source code, but I didn't look elsewhere). You would
still
need software on the server to assemble the PACSAT packets into files,
but
again, if you had source code for a client program, it would be
possible to
adapt it.

Sounds like a fun project, hope someone can make it happen...

Steve K4HG