RE: echo and NOVA

Bill,

You need to obtain the "Keps" for ECHO, and the most recent I've seen go
past on this email list is as follows:

ECHOO
1 99999U 99999B   04015.44385708  .00000000  00000-0  00000-0 0 00013
2 99999 098.2700 042.0000 0072000 180.0000 226.0000 14.40910000000006

You need to place those three lines into a text file somewhere on your PC,
e.g. "C:\TEMP\ECHO.TXT"

Replace the above file name and location with one of your own ...

Note the first line is the name the sat will get inside NOVA, and I have
changed it from "ECHO" to "ECHOO". The reason is to make it unique as the
real data for ECHO will arrive soon, once the data is determined and makes
it way via the www.celestrak.com web site or whereever you load your normal
updates.

Once you have that text file ready, in NOVA (Version 2.1 anyway), select
menu "Kep Elements/Disk file update/Manual update from file". From the
dialog box, select "Update" and on the file dialog window, select type =
text file, and navigate to the above file, e.g. "C:\TEMP\echo.txt".

Now that "ECHOO" is in the sat database, go to "configure current view" and
drag "ECHOO" into the window of sats you wish to see.

That's about it.

If you are getting internet updates for your keps, then the real ECHO will
soon show up (I guess) among the normal lists of satellites. Hence the
unique name in the file above.

Once the real ECHO arrives, you can of course add that to your current view,
and delete ECHOO from the view.

After you don't need ECHOO, you can also delete it from the main database
from the "Setup/Satellites" menu, find ECHOO, and use the trashcan button
for delete.

Hope that helps.

Two points:

1) Watch for better kep data than above by watching this email list and/or
the AMSAT web site.

2) You can make the name "ECHO" in the above file if you like, but you will
need to do the cleanup yourself to avoid conflict with the real data once
its in the real dataset. I did not think you wanted to have to deal with
that, given your original question.

Good luck, and have fun, and I hope this info might also be useful to others

Regards,
Jim Towler
Wellington
New Zealand