Help - IC-910 & TNC setup

G'day All,
              I badly need some help setting up an IC-910 and TNC3 to run
on UO-22, I've setup  using the main & sub data ports in sat mode, but
I'm  unable to get any response from the modem during a pass, if I switch
to normal mode (out of sat mode) the tnc comes to life, but of course is
unable to uplink, being on the same frequency as the downlink on main band.
  I'm obviously overlooking  something, but I can't for the life of me work
what it is, the situation is not helped by that joke, Icom call an
operators manual.
                   Any help would be most gratefully received

                     Regards Russ VK2BJP