Re: IC-910 & TNC3 help

At 08:41 PM 6/29/2004 +1000, rjacob@hotkey.net.au wrote:
>G'day All,
>              I badly need some help setting up an IC-910 and TNC3 to run
> on UO-22, I've setup  using the main & sub data ports in sat mode, but
> I'm  unable to get any response from the modem during a pass, if I switch
> to normal mode (out of sat mode) the tnc comes to life, but of course is
> unable to uplink, being on the same frequency as the downlink on main band.
>  I'm obviously overlooking  something, but I can't for the life of me
> work what it is, the situation is not helped by that joke, Icom call an
> operators manual.
>                   Any help would be most gratefully received
>
>                     Regards Russ VK2BJP

I discovered this some years ago, and the answer is buried in an article I
wrote for AMSAT Journal back in 2001.
For some reason, known but to Icom, the 910 is designed so that the MAIN
and SUB data ports REVERSE when you put the radio into satellite mode. It
makes absolutely no sense, but that's how it is. So swap your plugs and it
will work in sat mode, but you'll have to swap them back for land-based
packet. And no, you didn't miss it. There is absolutely no mention of any
of this in the 910 manual. Thanks, Icom!

------
Mark D. Johns, Cedar Falls, Iowa -- K0MDJ (EN32sm)
            http://pages.cfu.net/~mjohns/index.html
   "Heaven goes by favour.  If it went by merit, you would
       stay out and your dog would go in." -- Mark Twain