Re: AMSAT FD halftime report

Drew:
We had similar experience.  On the 2nd of 3 passes of ao-7, we tried
mode A.  Confirmed it was working, but never made a contact.  On the 3rd
pass, we were ready for mode A, quickly transistioned over when B was
not there.  Heard ourselves the whole pass, but never made a contact,
disappointing.

Moved right over to FO-29, and there you were.  Thanks for hearing us.
By the way, for our QSO, I'd been implored to unplug the headset (to the
annoyance of the HF operators next to me.)  There were a WHOLE lot of
people standing around waiting for this contact, including my wife and
our 4 year old neighbor. Your contact was quite a thrill to many.

After we worked you, I spent the rest of the pass calling CQ (and
hearing myself on the downlink) or trying to call those who were calling
CQ.  Both phone and CW, but never made another contact in all the
bedlam.  Which was frustrating, until afterwards, analyzing the pass,
Kevin (N3HKQ) and I realized that Field Day is often the first chance to
work a satellite.  Unfamiliarity with freq spotting techniques, etc
should be forgiven.

Drew, you made our day, thanks for being there.

BTW, we also noted the phenomenon of the second half of a pass being
much harder than the first half -- I think this is a known effect.

Thanks again, and very 73,
Jim
wb4gcs@amsat.org

"The satellite voice of N3SH."