Re: BPL in general

Joe Mayfield wrote:

Has any one in the commercial short-wave business commented on BPL?  I used
really enjoy listening to short-wave broadcasts both foreign and domestic
(now prevented by regular line noise).  Is it correct to assume this will be
made much more difficult by BPL?

Wayne replies:

Commercial shortwave broadcasters typically transmit hundreds of kw of RF
power to large arrays that have phenomenal gain.  The result is many
megawatts of ERP directed to the target audience.  On the receiving end, the
signals are typically extremely strong even when received with an ineffient
antenna.  I seriously doubt that shortwave broadcasters have much to fear
from BPL, because shortwave broadcast reception is not even close to "weak
signal" reception.

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA