silent key

Hello all,
I received the sad news this morning that my old friend and mentor Charlie
Robinson VK7KP (ex-VK3ACR) had passed away peacefully the previous night.
Chas was going-on 97 and had until recently been taking part in a regular HF
sched. Chas was instrumental in getting AMSAT-VK off the ground. He
conducted the weekly amsat HF sched each Sunday night back in the 1970s
until his hearing loss forced him to hand it on to Graham VK5AGR. Chas was
an inspiration to many VK and ZL amateurs for whom the Sunday night nets
were the only source of vital information in the early days of amateur radio
satellites. I well remember Chas reading out fresh sets of kep elements line
by line, number by number and Graham repeating them while dozens of pens
scratched on paper to copy them out. Man - they were the days! I visited
Chas at his home in Launceston Tasmania last year to find that his tracking
antenna was still in good order in the back yard and he was still keeping
his computer program fed with up to date keps. In the days before
satellites, Chas was well known in VK/ZL as an avid and accomplished
UHF/microwave DX-er. Pretty well all his gear was home brew and
state-of-the-art. It was a natural progression for him when Oscar-1 was
launched. Well done Chas.
Bill Magnusson VK3JT