Re: AMSAT Website Redesign Available to the BB

Hi Emily and the rest of the AMSAT website building team

The new web site looks great.  I like it.  Thanks for doing all of that work.

At the Dayton Hamvention, Martha and I had a chat about the membership data
base and e-commerce.  I agreed with her that it would be nice if not
imperative for members and others to place orders, obtain or renew
memberships and to make donations on the AMSAT Web Site.  I assume (hope)
that you are moving in that direction with the stores under construction.

In 1992 / 1993, Bob Carpenter and I worked on upgrading the then existing
DBASE 3+ data base to include two separate word processor based membership
lists into the data base, while we also upgraded to DBase IV.  I spent one
week of vacation time on that effort over the Christmas holidays in 92 to
get that effort started.  While incorporating Bob Carpenter's requirements
as well as Martha's data base needs, Bob came up to speed with DBase IV and
finished that project.  He also kept it up since then.  Thanks Bob.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with e-commerce and building web
sites.  I am not even experienced with Data Base work, I only dabbled in
DBase IV work, and that was over 12 years ago.  Therefore, when Martha
asked if I could get involved with creating  secure e-commerce functions, I
had to decline regretfully.  But, unless you can do it, I hope that someone
else from the AMSAT membership can step forward and pitch in and help out
with this.  It would be a great feature to have on our web site, assuming
that we can make it secure.

73 de Dieter kx4y

Dieter K. Schliemann, kx4y, #LM-1265
AMSAT area coordinator