Re: AMSAT Website Redesign Available to the BB

> Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 21:43:45 -0700
> From: Emily Clarke
> Subject: [amsat-bb] AMSAT Website Redesign Available to the BB
>
> The newly redesigned AMSAT website (possibly the worse kept secret in
> history) has transitioned to a public BETA test phase.  ...

Thank you Emily and your team for upgrading AMSAT's public online
face.  These new Web pages project a much stronger, more competent,
image, both for AMSAT and for the amateur satellite community.

These Web pages are unquestionably the most visible face of AMSAT
and amateur satellites.  Our audience includes current satellite
enthusiasts, as well as prospective amateur satellite operators,
AMSAT members, and satellite builders.  Beyond that, we should expect
a highly diverse audience that includes potential donors, and even members
of the civilian and defence space communities or other government
officials.  I believe that your new pages will help us more
effectively reach all of these audiences.

Having said that, I have a couple of suggestions:

o	You may want a "What are amateur satellites?" or "About
	amateur satellites" section.  Some of those who are directed
	to or stumble on this site may have no exposure to amateur
	satellites, or even know that such a thing is possible.  This
	might be a nice section in which to sell the accomplishments of the
	amateur satellite communities (e.g., education, university
	satellites, military academy satellites, etc.).
	By the way, the AMSAT 2003 annual report is a really nice
	document.  It should be highlighted in the appropriate
	sections.

o	It looks like you might now permit Web crawlers to index the
	AMSAT-BB archives (or at least some of them)  Thank you.
	I much prefer to use Google to search the e-mail archives,
	rather than downloading them all and searching them manually.
	(I don't believe the claims that prohibiting Web crawlers
	reduces spam.)

o	When I Googled for "amateur satellites", the [old] AMSAT
	home page was first on the list.  I assume you will figure
	out how to ensure that this is still the case.

Nice work,
	-tjs