Re: ISS on Field Day

Date sent:      	Mon, 21 Jun 2004 15:32:22 -0400
From:           	Margaret Leber <maggie@voicenet.com>
Subject:        	Re: [amsat-bb] ISS on Field Day
To:             	"Christensen, Eric" <CHRISTENSENE@mail.ecu.edu>
Copies to:      	'Wayne Estes W9AE' <w9ae@earthlink.net>,
	"'amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org'" <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>,
	"'sarex@AMSAT.Org'" <sarex@AMSAT.Org>, N1ND@arrl.org, n1nd@arrl.net

> Christensen, Eric wrote:
>
> > Maybe because it is not a conversation between two amateurs that are on the
> > earth communicating THROUGH the satellite???  Not trying to justify it but
> > rather explain a possible thought as to why it does not count...
>
> I agree that Earth station to ISS crew contacts might not be "satellite
> contacts" for ARRL FD purposes. But what about a UI packet QSO via the
> ISS of the form accepted by the 2004 AMSAT FD competition rules? That
> *is* exactly what you describe: a conversation between two amateurs on
> the surface.
>
> See Bruce KK5DO's article in the May/June AMSAT Journal on page 30:

Snip...

I would like to make mention that AMSAT Field Day rules although partly based
on ARRL rules, are our own rules and what the ARRL says is a satellite is not
necessarily what AMSAT says is a contact.

Please visit http://www.amsat.org (for HTML) or http://www.amsatnet.com (for
PDF and DOC) and grab a copy of the 2004 Field Day rules. It should answer all
your questions as Margaret made mention of from my article in the May/June
Journal.

There is no discussion now as the rules have been printed. In fact, the rules
are basically the same as they were last year and the year before. We just have
some different satellites to work or some that have become SK.

We do count a QSO with the Astronauts as a satellite contact. Of course, it is
considered an FM bird and only one voice QSO will count no matter how many
passes you work them on. If the packet racket is working (which I personally
doubt), you can use it as you would any other digital bird and make as many 2-
Way contacts.

Sorry I couldn't answer these when they were posted, I had to work a double
shift and just got off.

73...bruce

Bruce Paige, KK5DO

AMSAT VP-User Services & Awards Manager