Re: ISS on Field Day

Christensen, Eric wrote:

> Maybe because it is not a conversation between two amateurs that are on the
> earth communicating THROUGH the satellite???  Not trying to justify it but
> rather explain a possible thought as to why it does not count...

I agree that Earth station to ISS crew contacts might not be "satellite
contacts" for ARRL FD purposes. But what about a UI packet QSO via the
ISS of the form accepted by the 2004 AMSAT FD competition rules? That
*is* exactly what you describe: a conversation between two amateurs on
the surface.

See Bruce KK5DO's article in the May/June AMSAT Journal on page 30:
---
"The format for message exchange on the ISS or PCSat packet is an
unproto packet to the other station (3 way exchange required) with all
the same information as normally required  for ARLL Field Day, e.g.:

  W6NWG de K5DO 2A STX
  KK5DO de W6NWG QSL 5A SDG
  W6NWG de KK5DO QSL
---

Just having a UI packet heard and digied by the ARISS station is not a
"Field Day contact" in anybody's book. But I think a genuine two-way
digital QSO should be honored. And if it is, it will relieve traffic
pressure on the other limited satellite resources available on-orbit for
Field Day...SO-50 and AO-27 are going to be train wrecks if past
experience is any indication, and not everybody is prepared to try to
work though FO-29 (although as satellite band captain for W3EM I'm sure
going to give it my best try)

A packet digital QSO as describe in Bruce's article can use less channel
time than any other mode on an FM bird...and doesn't require ISS crew to
be available for passes during FD over North America.

  73 de Maggie K3XS

--
-----/___.   _)Margaret Stephanie Leber CCP, SCJP/"The art of progress /
----/(, /|  /| http://voicenet.com/~maggie SCWCD/ is to preserve order/