Re: Where'd all the satellite DX go?

> I posted a query a few weeks ago about getting back on the satellites after
> a long ham radio hiatus and said "where'd all the DX go?"  Got several
> replies -- thanks!
>
> It seems that the people who fund and build satellites have moved on from
> the simple HEO mode B type birds due to the "been there, done that" factor
> (my speculation).  Most of the recent satellites have been either quite
> complex and microwave-oriented (AO40) or little FM LEO repeaters/
> digipeaters with tiny footprints.  To wit, the next AMSAT project is another
> LEO bird, Echo, with one FM voice channel.  Not too exciting for people like
> me.
Feel reassured Bill you are not alone. By various mean i try since over one year now to express this feelings
that they are a couple of users as you said below:

> So there appears to be a disconnect between the people who build satellites
> and the people who use 'em.  C'est la vie, since this is a hobby not a
> business and we should be thankful anyone contributes money, time and
> resources to put amateur satellites of any type in the sky.

I recently got and read some very good news about our Ham sats world. I'm more than happy to see that some of
the underground voices start to be hear in various places.

  "This satellite, however, seems quite complex with capability all
> the way up to 47-GHz, so I am worried it may become another AO40.  Trying to
> be all things to all hams and ending up...

I really start my satellite careear with AO-40 and that's exactly what i was thinking about this microwave
stuff at the beginning. If you clicked on my link below you will see that i came from a long journey to
finally be able to work on AO-40 in S-L mode. Even if  i was not a greath DX er i manage about 800 contacts
via AO-40 but at the end of the line i learn a lot about microwaves. I guess it will be the same on 47GHZ but
i will try first to maximized my actual setup.

The learning part always remain even if satellites decayded

Luc Leblanc VE2DWE
Coordonnateur AMSAT pour le Québec
Quebec AMSAT coordinator
AMSAT MEMBER (33583)