Re: ARS rotor controller and the HD-73 rotor

The ARS RCX board has an LM324N (quad op-amp) as part of the design.
These op-amps along with P1 (for AZ) and P2 (for EL) are use to adjust
the the attenuation or gain needed to bring the input voltage within
range of 8 bit ADC.

If you adjust below the half way point of P1/P2 you will attenuate the
input voltage, above the half way point you add gain to the input
voltage.  At the half way mark you should get out what you put in - no
attenuation or gain.

The EL circuit is working fine.  The AZ circuit only allows for
attenuating the input voltage.  When adjusting P1 for the EL input
voltage it only allows adjusting from 0 to max (0.71v) over the entire
range of P1.

I haven't played with op-amps before and what knowledge I have is
several years stale, but it seems I'm not getting my reference voltage
to the op-amps to allow for upward (or gain) adjustment to 5v.

There is a missing resistor (R9) on the board.  It appears to have been
cut from the PCB.  This may be my missing link.  Unfortunately, EA4TX
says he no longer has schematics for this revision of the board.

-Freeman, N5FPP