RE: Let me throw this out for discussion.

Hello everybody,
First of all, I think this is a very reasonable idea to be discussed, at
least much more reasonable than some other posts lately.. I won't give a
recommendation here what to do and what not to do, as I am somewhat
connected to the P3-E design team. Just a few remarks.

1. P3-E Structure is ready for mounting of the first components. It has
been on display in the 'cleanroom' at the Amsat-DL Annual Meeting in May.
If I remember correctly, installation of the first RF-modules is due to
start end of this year. Many mechanical components (fuel tank, nutation
damper, magnetorquer, separation mechanics,...) are sitting on the bench
waiti g for
installation.

2. Re-inventing the wheel: this is actually the approach Amsat-DL wants to
prevent. The P3-E frame is the engineering model of P3-A, which was on
display for many years in Marburg. It was disassembled, cleaned,
reinforced where necessary, reassembled and painted with 'space-paint'
(thermal reasons), so it was actually a 'no-touch' item in May. The reason
for using it are fairly straight: This frame has been proven twice in
Orbit (AO-10, AO-13), mechanically and even more important thermally.

3. P3-E/Eagle synergies: AFAIK, the CAN-DO modules, which will provide
connection from IHU to the subsystems are used on both birds.. there are
also some Amsat-NA hams who are involved in the design of P3-E so I wound
suggest some information flow in both directions.

I can strongly recommend following the progress on the Amsat-DL website.
Reinhard is doing a great job of keeping us up-to-date with any events
happening (thanks!).

73s Achim, DH2VA