Power on AO-7.

This note is copied from THE EU AMSAT pages.

Hi All,
       We all know about the power problem
on AO-7. What some people might not know is
that the mode-A transmitter originally only
had 2 watts. These days, almost 30 years on
the estimated output power is probably only
about 500mW.

Therefore, don't expect BBC/CNN type signal
strengths. A good 10m antenna is a *MUST*.

I work mode-A with 5w EIRP! on 20 year old
equipment so there's no excuse for...."but I
don't have the latest all singing, all dancing
Icom/Kenwood/Yaeso".....etc etc.

I use a simple sloping dipole feeding a homebrew
BF981 preamp to a Microwave  Modules 10m to
2m converter to a 20 year oldFT-290 on receive.

I use a similar (barefoot) transmitter with an
EIRP of approximately 5 watts. This setup works
fine for CW QSO's (providing one uses the ears!)
but is obviously not recommended for SSB.

For more information check out W0EEC's excellent
AO-7 Resource Page. (link from AMSAT-NA's site
under AO-7 information).

See you on mode-A.

73 John. <la2qaa@amsat.org> <la2qaa@hotmail.com>