Re: Help with 910

Hi Mark,

Make sure you are setting the tone on the SUB band (transmit band) not the
receive band and you have to enable the tone

1) Go into satellite mode by pressing the SATELLITE button and set the
appropriate buttons for the frequency (Presumably 436,803 Main, 145.847 Sub)
2) Press the SUB button until the SUB indicator turns on
3) Press SET and then press FM and set the tone frequency for the SUB band
4) Press SET to SET the tone
5) Press the TONE button - a "T" should appear above the S in the S-Meter
for the SUB band
6) Press MW to write the settings into a satellite mode memory

One thing a lot of people don't realize is that setting a tone for the MAIN
(receive) band does not set the tone for the SUB (transmit) band.  It makes
sense since the 910 is a full duplex dual cross band radio that could
presumably be used for two repeaters at the same time.  Also, don't expect
to use tone squelch - SO-50 does not re-inject the tone into the transmit
carrier like a repeater will.  So turn the squelch off by rotating the
RF/SQL on the main band fully counter-clockwise and turn your pre-amps on.

One other note - if you are trying to work the satellite in non-satellite
mode using the memories the first time you try to tune for doppler the tone
will turn off.  It's a protection that Icom built into the radio in order
to make sure off-frequency radios don't access repeaters.

73,

Emily

At 10:58 PM 6/16/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello group.
>I have an Icom 910 and am trying to work SO 50.  However, when I follow the
>directions in the manual to set the PL tone I have no luck.  I am not sure
>what I am doing wrong. When I exit the menu system it says tone is set, but
>when I transmit it does not show the tone.
>Are there any other users who would be able to tell me what I may be doing
>wrong?
>Thanks in advance.
>Mark Boyle
>KB0MQX