RE: re 10m antenna for downlink

Back when RS-12 was still alive, I had good success hearing the 10m downlink using a 10m inverted Vee dipole with the apex 12 feet (3/8 wavelength) above the ground.   That height gives an ideal elevation gain pattern, with slightly more gain at low elevation, but no deep nulls at high elevation.  In the azimuth plane, an inverted Vee is not highly directional, so I didn't notice any deep nulls.  A loop is surely better, but it's more trouble to make and more trouble to erect because it requires multiple supports.

This year's satellite field day will be a low-key event for me.  I'm not motivated to take my big satellite antennas and rotors off the roof, now that AO40 is dead.  An manually-steered Arrow antenna on a camera tripod will be used for FO-29, SO-50, and AO-7 (with a 70cm preamp for FO-29 and SO-50).  Downlink antenna for AO-7 Mode A will be a 10m inverted vee with preamp.   Transceiver will be a FT-847, with SatPC32 automatic Doppler tuning.

I will also give a shot at another ISS voice contact, since I was successful the last two times I tried to work ISS on Field Day.   Field Day is the best opportunity to make a voice contact with ISS.  The astronauts were active during the last 3 field days.

It will be interesting to see if SO-50 is as uselessly congested as UO-14 used to be, and if the activity level is much lower this year due to the dearth of usable satellites.

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA