RE: IC-910

Terrig et al:

I just tried the transistor mod again. I used a 27K resistor from pin17 to
the base of the 2n3904, emitter grounded, collector to pin 15 and center
conductor of cable. The high voltage on the scope is 4.0V. The low pulses
appear to be very close to zero - certainly within a mv of zero. I can't
resolve the scope trace better than that.

I fired up the software and it is indeed happy with the mod. The radio is
responding and no error message appears. But, the behavior is as I described
before. Only the sub-band is being controlled. The main band never changes.

On the suggestion from a friend that perhaps the rig would be more tolerant
at 1200 baud, I tested all three methods at 1200 baud: 1.) with a TTL hookup
(no transistor mod) on channel 2; 2). with RS-232 to my CT-17 using channel
1, and 3). with the transistor mod on channel 2.

In ALL CASES, the software has ceased to report the radio is off, and is
controlling the sub-band frequency, but it is not updating the main band
frequency at all. If I push the M/S button on the radio to swap the main and
sub-band frequencies, the uplink and downlink frequencies are swapped, and
whichever is in the sub-band is being updated as the computer display
changes.

In thinking about my original report that the TTL port would not control the
IC-910 at all, I can only conclude that I was not consistent enough in
resetting the radio, the UT2000, and the software all at the same time. If
one of the above was not in the proper reset state, I can see where it might
report the error. So, let me accept mea culpa on that one.

The good news is that it's working, though not perfectly. Let's see if we
can figure out the software problem with the main band.

73,
Art N3OY