RE: IC-910 with Uni_Trac 2003

	N3OY de S.I.,
	Art,

At 03:41 6/5/04 +0000, Art, N3OY, wrote:
>Dave [Lamont]:
>
>Thanks for clearing up the differences between jumpering for ICOM/Yaesu
>and Kenwood. That had me baffled.
>
>The IC-910 has only a remote port, which as you correctly state is a
>one-wire interface. When I initially wired my mono cable for the 910, I
>shorted pins 15 and 17 on a parallel port model, and connected them to
>the tip of the connector. Ground was the other connection. Pins 15 and
>17 are supposed to be TTL radio port 2.

	That is correct Art.
	Actually, the Interface Cable connections (on the DB-25) are identical for
both the UT-2000 and the UT-2003 hardware except for one circuit, the ECP
pair which are not a part of the current discussion and tests. (The
identity of the ECP pair, ECP0 and ECP1, are swopped when changing between
the two Uni_Trac hardware versions).

>The jumpers are set for
>ICOM/Yaesu, because I have a cable wired to the RS232 side of port 1
>controlling an FT-847. That has been working just fine.
>
>When I configured Unitrac 2003
	[UT-2003 software (?), since we believe you are using the UT-2000
hardware, (S.I.)]
>			for a type 27 radio (IC-910), and told it
>I was using port 2,
	[with the TTL 3.5mm plug on pins 15 & 17 (?), (S.I.)]
>                    it kept reporting to me either the radio was off or
>the baud rate was not set correctly.
>
>As I reported, the IC-910 worked when I switched to the cable on the
>RS-232 side of port 1 and connected it to a CT-17
	[and then into the 910 (?), S.I.].
	So I know the radio works [when driven by a CT-17], and the RS232 port works.

>I'm the second one to report this same problem. I've triple checked
>everything, so I'm reasonably confident it isn't something I've
>configured incorrectly. But Murphy is always lurking around......

	It should be noted that we made the "Anchorage" Interface Cable for their
IC-910 wired to Radio port #1, pins 4 & 16. Their Interface Cable has only
this Radio port wired. They have the UT-2003 hardware (and software). From
the results that you, N3OY and KL7TS reports from Anchorage, the problem
appears to me to be dedicated to the TTL control port on the IC-910.

	May I suggest some careful measurements of the TTL waveform's actual
voltage levels (to a tenth of a volt accuracy) at the IC-910's port when
driven by Uni_Trac and when driven by a CT-17 be made. Might it be a
LOW/HIGH switching threshold problem? This measurement may be in your camp,
Art, since you are the only person currently involved who has both sets of
hardware available.

	At the risk of "muddying the waters", I note there is a very small
difference between the TTL driver circuit output of UT-2000 compared to
UT-2003. The UT-2000 uses a ULN2803A IC; the UT-2003 uses a ULN2003AN. The
2803A has 8 Darlington arrays; the 2003AN has only 7. The Darlington's
specs are the same in the two ICs. They are "beefy" TTL drivers, probably
much bigger than actually required. It would appear they are not the cause
of the trouble. It should also be noted that N3OY has the UT-2000 hardware
and KL7TS has the UT-2003 hardware and both have reported the same problem
under the same operating condition.

	Perhaps Terrig could comment on the Uni_Trac circuit details?
	This all points, in my opinion, to "trouble in the IC-910".

	Again, I may be "barking up the wrong tree", but  .........

>I'll be out of town starting tomorrow morning. When I return, I'll try
>using the older version of the software. And I'll also try the TTL side
>of [Uni_Trac's radioport?] port 1. I'll let the list know the results.
>
>73, Art N3OY

	73s,   de John  G3BVU/W1

	Yours truly,

	C.J.Beanland, MSEE, C.Eng., MIEE, MRAeS.
	Sales Manager,
	Spectrum International,Inc.	spectrum@spectrum-intl.com
	P.O. Box 1084,			Tel: (978) 263-2145
	Concord, Mass. 01742.		Fax: (978) 263-7008