Re: Ethernet I/O

The MAC address issue really isn't that big of a deal.  First of all,
take a look at the MAC address of card it probably starts with 00.  That
means we've used less than 1/256th of the available MAC addresses.  If
you want to be a little shady  you could just choose an address starting
with say 03 and you'd probably be fine for a while to come.  A better
solution is to find some old broken or not used NIC and just use its MAC
address.  There'd be no worries with this approach.

I must admit the X-Jack is kinda cool but it seems a bit pricey for what
you get.  An elegant scalable solution is the ETHERNUT project at
www.ethernut.de (open software and hardware) and there's also the poor
man's ethernut built from an ISA ethernet card and an AVR
microcontroller for very little $$.

73's
David Carr
KD5QGR