Re: RE: NASA TV on DirecTV

The software question was for NOAAPORT, a DVB-data service.  Some of the sat tv hobbiests are looking into it as it's an open non-encrypted standard.  I'd develop something for it but I do not have the time.

As far as the MPG/DVB hobby, there's a lot up there.  Little "entertainment" programming, but a lot of cool news channels and many foreign broadcasts.  (Sometimes very revealing even if you do not understand the language).  Examples are the arab channels on IA (telstar) 5 Ku or the Pentagon Channel on AMC1 Ku or 5 PBS channels on AMC3 Ku (some technical catches there.. Audio is AC3, have to have the right receiver for this).

MPEG receivers are cheap, I bought one for a friend new for $90, although $150 is more typical.  If your actuator is toast, it'd be $40-$50 to replace it.  If you like SWLing, then this is the video version of that.  If you like looking for "hidden signals" then look into a "blind search" receiver, such as a Satworks, Coship or Fortec Ultra.  If you are more of a computer type you can get for <$50 off e-bay a Broadlogic 2030 card and some software that will allow you to see FTA DVB on your computer(free).

Check out the MPEG section of http://www.satforums.com for information, and look at http://www.lyngsat.com "Americas" and "Atlantic" sections to see what is available FTA (Free-To-Air:  unencrypted) in a general sense.

This is an excellent thing to do with that AO-40 BUD while waiting for another HEO s-band bird or the recovery of AO-40.

Fred