Re: Was eham, now W4AMI award

The whiners over there _do_ have a point. I think some of the problem stems
from the W4AMI award. We give people an award for being on every pass and
saying Hi/Bye to 4-5 of the same people for each pass, 6 times a day. This
just is not compatible with a FM satellite, especially when ECHO goes up and
we are looking to gain new members out of the launch  I like just about
everyone on satellite, but when I hear the "breakfast club" term thrown
around and folks trying to recite the entire list of who is on the bird at
the time, I want to puke in my microphone. If everyone listened for the new
guy on the arrow, instead of trying to make another qso for their W4AMI
award, AMSAT would be better off in the long run. I suppose if we really
cared about growing our membership, we'd suspend FM QSOs for the award and
let folks make their W4AMI qsos on AO-7 or FO-29. Those birds are mostly
empty most passes.

If Echo is as popular as I think it will be, I feel the regulars need to
restrain themselves to 1 or 2 QSOs per pass, and try to make it a new guy. I
like to follow up that type of QSO with an email and an amsat membership
application and invitation to join. I'm going to try my best to only make
1-2 qsos on each busy FM satellite pass.

I think this year before I send my ballot in for the BOD seats that need to
be filled, I'm going to ask for a public stance on a few positions from the
candidates as well as their willingness to change the status quo, and guide
my vote appropriately.

73, Drew KO4MA