Re: Echo PL tone

At 03:32 PM 5/30/2004 -0400, Pete wrote:
>  Bill, Ever use UO-14? Possibly to eliminate any taxi cab dispatchers
> causing
>QRM during their illegal use of 2 meters. 73 Pete NA2P

I'm not sure PL tone is going to help that much any more Pete.  The illegal
2m transmitters in Baja California are so strong now that knock us right
out of the FM satellites, including SO-50 which does have a PL.  They just
come right over the top of us and the satellite shuts off.  Howard, K6IA
was still getting knocked out even after cranking the power up to 100W into
a 9 ele 2m KLM beam.

If you want to demonstrate the effect, do this simple simulation.  Set up a
50W station and an HT to transmit on a repeater that you know you can get
into with the HT.  Turn the PL tone on the 50W station off, then key
it.  Then try to get in with the HT.  It won't go in because the stronger
signal is overloading the front end of the repeater receiver.  It seems to
be the same thing that is happening with SO-50.

So it is likely the same thing will happen with Echo - PL tones are good
for protecting the satellite batteries - but from what we can see here on
the west coast it does nothing to improve FM capture in the face of a huge
linear in the hands of a illegal user.

Some good news is that Echo is not sitting on a 25KHz tuning step (145.920)
so it's possible that we've avoided being right on top of illegal
transmissions by people who never think to go in and change the tuning
step. I just wish they would have moved it to something like 145.915 so it
would be less than 6khz away and made it NFM, but it's a good step in the
right direction.

One other piece of good news is that I didn't need nearly as much power as
Howard (though I still was putting 25W into a 5ele beam).  I'm computer
controlled, so my transmitter was compensating for doppler - the illegal
transmitter is not.  So this could be a strong argument for computer
controlling even on FM satellites.

73,

Emily

W0EEC - CM87tm