W6OI Secial Event operation by N5AFV - Sunday May 30th

Last year the W6OI special event operation held along with the annual Ten
Ten International Hill Country Picnic was a great success.  This year's
Hill Country Picnic will be held on Sunday, May 30th, at the home of Jack,
K5CC, in Bulverde, Texas. My wife, Anita, and I will be driving from
Houston to Bulverde to attend the picnic. Jack has again authorized me to
use the Ten Ten International club station, W6OI, to work satellite passes
during the drive to Bulverde. I will try to operate the morning passes of
SO-50 at 1418 UTC and 1558 UTC. Depending on when we leave, operation will
be from grid squares EL29, EL19 or EL09. A W6OI special event QSL card will
be available for those making satellite contacts with me during this
operation. QSL directly to N5AFV.

Ten Ten International was organized to promote amateur radio activity on
the ten meter band. Most of you know that the 10 meter band was used for
satellite downlinks in the earlier days of satellite communications.
Unfortunately, during a solar storm in 2002 we lost RS 12/13, the last
fully operational satellite using the 10 meter band. Two other amateur
radio satellites still use 10 meters for a downlink. RS-15 is difficult to
hear because of a weak downlink signal, and is described by AMSAT as being
"semi-operational". Recent reports from amateur radio operators during the
past month indicate that RS-15 appears to be failing rapidly. AO-7, which
was launched in 1974, went silent in 1981 due to failure of a battery cell.
The satellite miraculously came back to life and is operational at times
when its solar cells are in sunlight. It is amazing that amateur radio
operators are making contacts on a satellite launched into orbit 30 years ago.

For information about last year's Ten Ten International Hill Country Picnic
and the associated W6OI special event operation, see my amateur radio web
page at www.qsl.net/n5afv .  I thank Ten Ten International for supporting
this special event operation.

Allen N5AFV
Houston, TX