Receiver impedance mismatch

I have been experimenting with filters to reduce desense of our 70 CM
RX and came across a remark in the ARRL Handbook that peaked my
curiosity. This claimed that the input to VHF and UHF receivers
designed for best SNR do not present a good match to 50 Ohms. This
might wreak havoc with filter performance or at least dictate tuning
a filter in-situ.  Does anyone have more insights to share on this ?

--
73
Ron