Re: Will GALILEO render S-band downlinks unusable?

On 15:10 2004-05-07, Werner H. Berli wrote:

> you will find that one of the bands GALILEO is to use ranges from 1260
> to 1300 MHz.
L-band?

> The interference which must result from GALILEO in our S-band will not
> only be heard in Europe.
How would it affect downlinks in a different band?

> What does AMSAT-UK do to correct this? What are the other AMSATs doing
> to prevent our S-band from becoming unusable?

I think they can do nothing because radio location is primary and amateur
service (only uplinks) is only secondary in that segment.
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/redbook/4b.pdf

Also I would be surprised if you could even detect the Galileo satellites with
narrow band receivers... You can test with GPS, they are bit below at 1228 MHz.

Cheers,

Kaj OH6EH