Re: Advice needed on a rotor to mate with an Yeasu G-500B el rotor

Freeman,

    I don't mean to dump on you, but you hit one of my buttons.  It can be
done "cheaply", just as you can drive a car "cheaply", but that car is not
going to be a brand new Lexus.  I have made many satellite contacts with no
rotors or pre-amps.  When I moved up to a pre-amp I used the Hamtronics kit
(In your defense I know they are $39.00 and not available as kits for $19.95
any more).  When I moved up to moving antennas by remote control, I started
with a U-100 Alliance rotor az with a fixed 30 degrees for EL.  I eventually
moved up to a pair of them for AZ/EL.  If you mount the box upside down the
"S" position can stand for "Straight up".  U-100s go for about $20 - $30 on
eBay.

    Everyone accepts you can get on HF with less than 1500 Watts and a
Tribander at 100 feet, but for some reason they don't accept you can get the
birds with less than full computer controlled AZ/EL, big yagis, new radios,
and more.  Improving a piece at a time is fun and allows you to see the
impact of each improvement.

    Just about any rotor will meet you AZ needs.  The HD-73 will make a fine
AZ rotor.  A PIC controller would be a neat project.  I computer controlled
a Ham II for a while with a FODTrak.  Just parallel the control switches
with relays and let FODTrak control the relays.  It sounds like you are
starting at at least the "Chevy" level satellite station, good luck I think
you are going to enjoy it!

73,
Joe
ks5z