Re: Doing the best they can.

At 01:05 PM 5/4/2004 +0200, john hackett wrote:
>A lot of amateur satellite operators would like to have fully automated
>stations but many of them,
>particularly among the newly established families, homebuilders and
>penionists etc.....often simply can't afford the extra investment.

This was certainly a consideration when I started - of all the things to
spend money on (antennas, radio, preamps and eventual dish and
downconverter) automatic tuning (and rotation) seemed to be a low
priority.  Now it's priority has changed to an academic exercise so I can
teach others about it.

It also occurred to me last year on field day that if I didn't know how to
manually tune the radio I was going to need to have a computer, power etc.
For a 3A station running QRP on battery power this was a big problem
considering the 910H receive section still draws considerably more power
than the receiver sections the HF guys have with their Elecraft K1s and
817s. So learning to tune manually (and rotate manually) insured I could
operate in true field-battery conditions with a minimal amount of equipment.

73,

Emily

W0EEC - CM87tm
http://www.experthams.net/ao7