Re: One true rule in 2004...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Walls" <k6ccc@earthlink.net>

> Correct.  If EVERYONE in a conversation has full computer control of
> doppler, the "One True Rule" works great.  However, if any one party in
> the conversation does not have the ability  to use full computer control
> of doppler, then it becomes a royal pain in the $%& for everyone involved.

I disagree.  You and I have worked each other several times. I always use
full doppler control w/my radio and it doesn't seem to have ever been a
problem.

If I'm using full doppler control and the station I'm talking to isn't, then
when they are transmitting I tune my receive to follow as they drift across
the passband.  When they stop transmitting and I start, I am always
transmitting right on the frequency where their dowlink last was (because my
transmitter was being automatically being tuned for doppler and the change
in my RX frequency).  While I'm transmitting the other station (without
doppler control) is tuning their receive to compensate for their shift in
doppler (same as they would have to do if they were RXing ISS.  The station
without doppler control has to perform some tuning on receive regardless of
weather the transmitting station has doppler compensation or not (since
doppler will shift for the two stations at different rates).  So how is this
QSO any harder to complete then one in which neither station had full
doppler control?  The receiveing station without doppler control may have to
tune at a faster rate when the transmitting station is using full doppler
control, since the transmitting station is not drifting across the
passband - but so what?

It's my personal feeling that allowing your QSO to drift across the passband
and into another QSO (being held by operators that are using doppler
control) is wrong.  To me it seems like the drifting QSO is causing harmfull
interferience and should QSY.  The problem is that the stations without
doppler control have a much more difficult time of QSYing to XXX.XXX frequen
cy in the pass band becuase without doppler control they don't know what
frequency they are actually operating on AT the satellite.  It's been my
experience that the drifiting QSO's (with out doppler control) don't usually
QSY to somewhere else in the passband becuase it's too difficult for them to
find themselves again ... let alone they other party(s) that they are trying
to have a QSO with.

Mark (KB9KHM)
Yes I'm an AMSAT member - no I don't remember my membership number (I'm at
work)