Students' satellite in space

April 25 - A team of Deer Valley High School physics students sent a
student-built satellite into "near space" where a digital camera took
photos 19 miles from the ground.

The Deer Valley Physics Club was one of 10 teams that worked with
Northern Arizona University and the Arizona NASA Space Grant program to
launch satellites from fields in Maricopa earlier this month. Each group
designed and built a satellite that was carried aloft by weather balloons.

"We expect to have images, and hopefully, a short time-lapse film based
on our digital images," said Brian Bingham, club sponsor and science
teacher.

The satellites were tracked and recovered with the help of Arizona Near
Space Research, a scientific-educational amateur radio balloon group.
Students are analyzing the data in class.

[http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0425edwhatworks25.html]

The Arizona Near Space Research group is focused on "Promoting Science
and Education through Amateur Radio and High Altitude Balloons."
Hands-on participation by interested radio amateurs and non-amateurs
alike. Visit them on the Web at:

http://www.ansr.org/html/index.php

--
Jeff Davis, KE9V