AMSAT Survey

Hi,  I'm a fairly long time members of AMSAT-UK and have been watching the
debate over the AMSAT NA survey of 400 members with some interest.  I'm one
of those members who enjoy collecting the numbers and monitoring radio
traffic rather than operating on the birds. Because I strongly  believe in
the concept of free access amateur radio satellites I have done, and
continue to, try to help fund these projects.

Re Surveys
When the first FM satellites were launched, I don't remember anyone at
AMSAT-UK (or anywhere
else) involving me in the decision-making process to decide whether my
membership money should go to such a project.  I'm strongly opposed to the
building of so called 'FM EZ-Sats', yet my membership cash is currently
helping to fund another one, just like it did the last ones.   It was
allocated by AMSAT UK and I had no say in the matter, simply because I
couldn't attend their AGM.

When the construction of AMSAT Oscar40 was decided upon, I was not asked for
my opinions either although I helped in my own small way to fund it.  In
fact, only once in about quarter of a century do I remember anyone at AMSAT
asking for my opinion.  That was when Richard Limebear G3RWL arranged a
survey in the UK Oscar News Journal many years ago.

Granted that in the past, it was a much more expensive business to conduct
surveys but I find the
apparent lack of the democratic process within AMSAT more than a little
worrying.
Nowadays, surveys can be conducted on-line with relative ease and many, if
not most of us have,
or have access to, the means to reply to such surveys.
Statistical surveys will always be treated with suspicion by some, myself
included, so come on
guys, why not arrange a detailed on-line survey for AMSAT members.

Although I'm still a member of AMSAT, I'm no longer a member of AMSAT UK.
I've taken matters
into my own hands and my membership cash is now targeted directly at a
project I personally support. I'm not the first member to vote with my feet
and I know of several other A-UK members who have gone down the same route.
IMHO Could this perceived lack of regard by management for what the  members
actually want their membership cash spent on help account for the drain of
members from AMSAT?  I'm greatly saddened that nobody seems to value my
opinion.

Re statistical analysis, I used to be employed by Coats (the thread maker)
and part of my work
there was to develop computer software tools for statistical analysis.  I
have little interest in statistics these days but I have been there and done
that.

Let's have a little real democracy please. Why not ask the members ( all the
members) what direction they want to see AMSAT organisation headed in via an
on-line (global) survey.

Yes, even an on-line survey will cost money, but surely such a survey of the
ordinary AMSAT membership is long overdue.  Will that cost too much?  Will
it really?

Allan Copland
GM1SXX