Re: FRS in Europe?

In a message of Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:42:18 EDT, Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604
 writes:
>Apparently there's also a service, in some European counties, at
>least, that's actually in the 430-440MHz range, also.  I know my EA
>frineds have used them, and apparently they allow ham to non-ham
>communication, too.

Yes, that's LPD (more similar to your part 15 devices on 46(?) MHz).
They're 10mW ERP, 68 channels with 25 kHz spacing starting at
433.075. The band may also be used as larger channels for wireless
headphones etc. Nowadays voice/audio LPD devices are "discouraged"
so most new stuff is either PMR (for walkie-talkies) or in another
band around 860 MHz for wireless headphones. There's still lots of
car remotes and wireless weatherstations and other digital mode junk
being sold in this band.

Wireless headphones are not compatible with 70cm repeaters, which
live in the same band at least in Scandinavia where we only have
432-438. In countries with 430-440, repeaters live at the edges with
-7.6 MHz shift.

73 de Anders

--
Anders Hammarquist                                  | iko@cd.chalmers.se
Physics student, Chalmers University of Technology, | Hem: +46 31 88 48 50