From: "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga@usna.edu>
To: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 7:49 PM
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Survey

| >Greg, I couldn't agree with you more.
| >A survey of 400 does not represent
| >the entire membership as I see it.
|
| I think we need someone to explain how statistical
| sampling works.  I'm no expert, but here are the salient
| points:
|
| 1) You can never get a full survey.
but you will hear from those who care about the future of amsat and the
direction it is going in.

| 2) Even if you mail out 5000 forms to everyone,
|     you will only get about 5% back.
are you saying that 95% could care less, that must be why they spend $36. on
renewals ever year.

| 3) Of those 5%, probably *most* (lets say 50%) of them
|     have an AX to grind or are strongly opinionated.
is that because they are unhappy in the direction amsat is going.

| 4) The 95% who didnt respond did not have an
|      ax to grind and therefore probably are happy
|      the way things are.  Otherwise they would
|      have responded.
or maybe they dont think there opions or ideas count for anything.

| 5)  Now, then, if you Take the survey at face value
|      as representative of the group, then the 2.5%
|      of the strongly opinionated guys with an AX to
|      grind make up 50% of the response.  When in
|      fact they only represent 2.5% of the MEMBERSHIP.
sounds like a lot of dissapointed members.