Doppler freq. shift

I need some help understanding the Doppler freq shift on the sat's
downlinks.  My understanding of Doppler is the freq rises as the object
approaches and decreases as it moves away. Question: Using nova and a demo
version of unitrac 2003, every sat I tracked showed the freq decreasing (sat
downlink+ doppler) as the sat neared and continuing to decrease as the sat
passed and moved away. Either my understanding of the Doppler effect or my
program needs "updating". I'd appreciate some input.
Bill   kb2rc@arrl.net  AMSAT #6986