Kenwood TH6/7FE Limitations

When using this little handheld with the Arrow antenna for SO50 and AO27, I
have the problem that I can only set the receiver to 436.800 MHz and
therefore have to wait until the satellite downlink is close to this
frequency for communication, since the receiver steps at this frequency
range are 25kHz.
Is there anyway I can make the radio more flexible, either by modifications,
or better still by re-configuration ?

Mike G3LGR