RE: [bod] RE: Membership DIRECTED survey

Joel is mostly correct when he said:
> Gee, unless I'm badly mistaken, after the splash-down of P3A, King Hussein
> of Jordan made a considerable donation to AMSAT for future satellite
> development.  As far as I know, he was not a satellite operator or member.

Hussein (JY1) did make a sizeable contribution ($10,000) to AMSAT after P3A
became a submarine. We was an AMSAT Life Member. Hussein was active on the
air and had a satellite station in his palace; we arranged for him to have a
QSO with Owen Garriot (W5LFL) during the first SAREX flight. All of his
satellite station was maintained by "Blackie" Blackburn (JY9BB).

I was AMSAT President at the time and had the pleasure of accepting his
contribution on behalf of the organization. Because of his "jet set"
schedule on that trip to the US, we conducted the "event" by phone. In my
scrapbook I still have a copy of the letter and check.

73 de Tom, W3IWI