From: "Wayne Estes W9AE" <w9ae@earthlink.net>
To: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 00:37
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] working AO-7 and FO-29 with a FT-817

A few days ago I incorrectly wrote that InstantTune and SatPC32 can be used
to provide Doppler tuning and "virtual" VFO tracking with a FT-817.
Unfortunately, SatPC32 does NOT currently control a FT-817 or any other
half-duplex radio.  Erich Eichman DK1TB is the author of SatPC32, and he is
interested in developing the control algorithm for half-duplex radios such
as FT-817, FT-100, and FT-857.  This would be a major project, though.  And
the intrinsic limitations of half-duplex radios may require the tuning
functions and user interface to be somewhat different than with full-duplex
radios.

For now, I think that InstantTrack/InstantTune is the only application that
can provide Doppler tuning and "virtual" VFO tracking with an FT-817 or
FT-100.  The overall functionality is quite remarkable considering the
limitations of the CAT interface and the intrinsic nature of a half-duplex
radio.

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA