Re: Icom 820H/ UT-50/AG25+35

Hello Paul,

I am looking forward to working you on AO27 soon.

For satellite antenna autotracking:

I am using Nova for windows  see:   http://www.nlsa.com     for their
tracking software and hardware.

with NOVA on my pc and the Yaesu G5400/5500 and a LabJack on the USB
port from the computer
and connecting to the Yaesu controller with a supplied 5 pin DIN cable
any sat is easily and cost effectively
autotracked. LabJack will not control the receiver for doppler frequency
correction. NLSA sells a daughterboard
 compatible with the LabJack and NOVA to connect the LabJack to the
Yaesu az/el controller.
After a minor setup in NOVA, your antennas will autotrack any satellite
easily.
Forget the very pricey G232 adapter box.

For the Icom mast mounted low noise preamplifier:

With the preamp at the antenna and ON, listening to a distant station,
turn the preamp OFF.
If the distant station is more hearable with the preamplifier ON than
OFF, the preamplifier is working.

If you can hear the distant station better with the preamp OFF, the
preamp is toasted,
or you are in a very strong electromagnetic environment
and the preamp may be saturated with other RF, pagers, other comms,
taxis, etc.
Usually the first active device is the first to get toasted.

Try adding a good band pass filter between the transceiver and the
antenna feed line,
is there an improvement in hearing a distant station ?    If there is
improvement,
add the good band pass filter between the antenna and the mast mounted
preamplifier and check again.
If preamplifier performance is better with the band pass filter, weather
proof it and leave in line.

The ICOM mast mounted preamplifiers are rather broad banded devices.
The SSB electronics mast mounted preamplifiers are a premium device with
a premium price.
The price is for the built in band pass filter, in the weatherproof
enclosure. Consider the LANDWEHR
mast mounted preamplifiers, excellent mast mounted preamplifiers with
low noise and a tight band pass.
LANDWEHR preamps are no longer sold new in America.

The preamplifier is only needed with the satellite downlink.

as far as packet goes, newer satellites will have 9600 and higher
speeds.  Better get ready now.

Stan, WA1ECF     FN41sr    Cape Cod, MA