Sky-command on ANY radio

>What is concerning... is how the FCC seems to be
>swayed more and more commercial interest.
>Whether or not this 'Sky Command' is a good ...
>...but it still only pertains to Kenwood radios at this time.

Several comments.
1) What would HAM radio be if we didnt have YeaComWood ?
2) I'm glad Kenwood can afford to lobby the FCC in our behalf.
    We sure can't afford it...
3) Sky command is NOTHING unique.  It is AX.25 and PL tones

Anyone can SKY command a radio and anyone can assemble
BOTH ends of the link and SKY command any radio.  Back
when I first heard about it, I was all ready to write the simple
software to take the commands from ANY TNC and use them
to generate the unique RADIO serial port commands for my
other non-kenwood radios.    Then anyone can "sky command"
any radio using what they already have.

The only edge that Kenwood has is that their TH-D7 APRS
HT has the TNC and command syntacs built in, making for
a very convenient package.

Like I said, I was already to add SKY command protocols to
APRS since Its only ASCII text strings sent by normal PACKET
to control a radio.  But then I got busy with other things and
there was the ARRL shooting us all in the foot by making
the archaic conclusions that it "violated" the rules.

Fortunately Kenwood had the wherewithall to afford to hire
all the legal blue-suits to go to the FCC and petition them to
update their 1934 rules about AUX remote control operation
to make it "legal" to remotely monitor a radio on 2m that was
under remote control on UHF.

So glad to see Kenwood taking action in our behalf.

And dont think of this as just Kenwood.  ANyone can write
software that runs on a PC that can implement it all even
without a TNC and output the YEASU and the ICOM
radio control protocols so that you can remote control ANY
controllable radio...

This is not the end of HAM radio, it is the recognition of
the advance of technology to the present where we have
the ability to remote control radios for our benefit, so lets
use it...

Bob
 My question is, how many dinners did this cost
Kenwood? As many as the power companies for BPL approval?

But there is also other interesting news to come out of the FCC proposal
article. That is, the FCC did deny authorization of a service similar to the
Family Radio Service in the 420-450 MHz amateur band. As a user of the of 70
CM band  I can only say thank you very much.

The removal of T/A from power amplifiers, which was a silly idea to start
with, is also a good thing. Prohibiting sale and marketing of power
amplifiers capable of operating between 24 and 35 MHz made it hard on us
hams. Didn't do much to stop illegal high power 27 MHz CB operations.

As to the matter to require pre-space notifications for amateur spacecraft,
is this a big issue? Maybe someone with more knowledge can comment on this.

You may electronically comment on the NPRM by Tuesday, June 15  via the FCC
Electronic Comment Filing System.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/ecfs/

May I suggest you do so.

GL Keith N4ZQ