Re: Big FCC Proposal

Emily Clarke wrote:

> This was very strange that the ARRL had it backwards - and likely to
> be an invitation to encroach by anyone who hasn't taken the time to
> read the actual proposal. Is anyone contacting the ARRL to get them to
> make a correction?

It's already been fixed...
From:  http://www.remote.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/04/15/102/?nc=1

The FCC additionally proposed a rule change that would make Kenwood's
Sky Command system legal for operation within the US. The Commission
said it believes Kenwood's proposal "will be consistent with our
flexible-use policy in the Amateur Service." The proposed amendment to
§97.201(b) of the rules would permit auxiliary operation on 2 meters
above 144.5 MHz--with the exception of the satellite subband 145.8 to
146.0 MHz--in addition to frequency segments already authorized. The Sky
Command system permits the user to operate certain Kenwood equipment
remotely via a VHF/UHF handheld transceiver.

And BTW, in reference to comments that Bob made, this has absolutely
nothing to do with being able to remotely operate a satellite station.
The Auxilliary part of SkyCommand is the link from the remotely operated
radio back to control point.  Let me use this tacky ASCII art to
demonstrate (read in monospaced font):

     ---     <--------------                        ___
    (   )  H     UHF      /           Remotely      \ / HF Antenna
     ---   T     link    --------->  Controlled      |
      |  /                             Radio --------
    --|--                              on HF
   /  |
     / \
    /   \

The UHF link from the guy with the HT to the remotely conntrolled radio is operating no different than if he were talking to another ham.  The UHF link from the remotely controlled station back to the control point IS the only Auxilliary transmitter in this diagram.  The fact that the HF station is remotely controlled (as opposed to locally) has no bearing on anything - note the last sentance in 97.109(c):

Sec.  97.109  Station control.

    (a) Each amateur station must have at least one control point.
    (b) When a station is being locally controlled, the control operator
must be at the control point. Any station may be locally controlled.
    (c) When a station is being remotely controlled, the control
operator must be at the control point. Any station may be remotely
controlled.

Not all that long ago I found a much better graphic of this in (I think) an ARRL maunal, but I could not find it, but this faithfully reflects the concept.  A radio is remotely controlled if it is not locally controlled.  It does not matter if that remotely controlled radio is 6 feet away or half way around the world.  In my house, most of my amateur radios are remotely controlled (via wireline) from various points in the house to the radios in the shack.  The only thing I use locally is the all-mode VHF/UHF radio, and occassionally an HT while walking around the house somewhere.

73
Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org
Ofc:  626-302-8515