From: Rick Hambly (W2GPS) [mailto:w2gps@cnssys.com]
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2004 7:07 AM
To: 'awextra@arrl.org'
Cc: 'Board-AMSAT'; 'officers@AMSAT.Org'; 'Advisors-AMSAT'
Subject: ARRL's FCC Changes Web Page

Hello,

On your Web page titled "FCC Proposes Wide-Ranging Changes to Amateur
Service Rules" you have made a serious mistake that has caused users of the
Amateur Satellite Service in the coordinated sub-band of 145.8 to 146.0 MHz
to become very concerned, unnecessarily. I ask you to correct this mistake
ASAP.

ARRL:
=====
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/04/15/102/?nc=1
The FCC additionally proposed a rule change that would make Kenwood's Sky
Command system legal for operation within the US. The Commission said it
believes Kenwood's proposal "will be consistent with our flexible-use policy
in the Amateur Service." The proposed amendment to §97.201(b) of the rules
would permit auxiliary operation from 145.8 to 146.0 MHz in addition to
frequency segments already authorized. The Sky Command system permits the
user to operate certain Kenwood equipment remotely via a VHF/UHF handheld
transceiver.

FCC:
====
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-04-79A1.pdf
§ 97.201 Auxiliary station.
* * * * *
(b) An auxiliary station may transmit only on the 2 m and shorter wavelength
bands, except the 144.0-144.5 MHz, 145.8-146.0 MHz, 219-220 MHz,
222.00-222.15 MHz, 431-433 MHz, and 435-438 MHz segments.

Sincerely,

Richard M. Hambly W2GPS
AMSAT Executive VP
(410) 987-7835 phone