Re: Big FCC Proposal

On Thursday 15 April 2004 09:42 pm, Andrew Glasbrenner <"Andrew
Glasbrenner" <glasbrenner@mindspring.com>> wrote:
> >The FCC additionally proposed a rule change that would make
> > Kenwood's Sky Command system legal for operation within the US. The
> > Commission said it believes Kenwood's proposal "will be consistent
> > with our flexible-use
>
> policy in >the Amateur Service." The proposed amendment to ß97.201(b)
> of the rules >would permit auxiliary operation from 145.8 to 146.0
> MHz in addition to >frequency segments already authorized. The Sky
> Command system permits the >user to operate certain Kenwood equipment
> remotely via a VHF/UHF handheld >transceiver.

The ARRL summary has it exactly backwards.  The NPRM states that Kenwood
is asking the FCC to permit auxiliary operation on the two meter band
above 144.5 MHz EXCEPT in the segment 145.8 - 146.0 MHz.

> Thats gonna make Mode J problematic for certain. Might even make Mode
> B hard if some jerk plops down on a sat downlink in your area. And
> remember P3E will have a Mode B downlink....
>
> Please take the time to file a comment with the FCC.
>
> [...]

But PLEASE read the actual NPRM before filing comments.  Don't rely on
someone else's (including me) interpretation.

- Bob
  WB4JCM