RE: Big FCC Proposal

I think the article Keith was referring to was a few articles down - the
ARRL probably thought it was an afterthought since it didn't have anything
to do with HF:
FCC Proposes Wide-Ranging Changes to Amateur Service Rules

"The FCC additionally proposed a rule change that would make Kenwood's Sky
Command system legal for operation within the US. The Commission said it
believes Kenwood's proposal "will be consistent with our flexible-use
policy in the Amateur Service." The proposed amendment to §97.201(b) of the
rules would permit auxiliary operation from 145.8 to 146.0 MHz in addition
to frequency segments already authorized. The Sky Command system permits
the user to operate certain Kenwood equipment remotely via a VHF/UHF
handheld transceiver. "

 From what I could see from reading this and other materials Kenwood
lobbied hard to get access to the OSCAR subband. Tragic - as if we don't
have enough jamming in that band as it is.

Did someone forget to tell the FCC that earth to ISS communications also
shares that band?

73,

Emily

At 09:37 AM 4/16/2004 +1000, Tony Langdon (ATC) wrote:
> > Well folks if the FCC has it way, things are going to get a
> > little more
> > crowded in the two meter satellite band. This is just one of
> > many proposals
> > the FCC has put forth today. Surf on over to
> > www.arrl.org and read all about it.
>
>A link to the exact article would help.  Skimmed the first few headlines and
>it was all about BPL, and don't have the time to do a "treasure hunt" (not a
>good look in the office LOL). :)

W0EEC - CM87tm
http://www.experthams.net/ao7