Re: Big FCC Proposal

On Apr 15, 2004, at 6:21 PM, Keith O'Brien wrote:

> Well folks if the FCC has it way, things are going to get a little
> more crowded in the two meter satellite band. This is just one of many
> proposals the FCC has put forth today. Surf on over to
> www.arrl.org and read all about it.

There's a better account of the changes here:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-04-79A1.pdf

I'm assuming that you are referring to the auxiliary station changes,
but they specifically
exclude the satellite portions of the band:

22. Because we have no basis to conclude that auxiliary stations
transmitting on the 2 m
band would cause harmful interference or that user coordination would
not be possible,112 we
believe that Kenwood’s proposed rule change will be consistent with our
flexible-use policy in
the amateur service. In this regard, we note that the frequency
segments Kenwood requests does
not affect the frequency segments authorized to automatically
controlled beacon stations,113 space
stations,114 earth stations115 or those frequency segments that amateur
radio operators have
voluntarily agreed to use for simplex and weak signal
communications.116 We therefore believe
the record in this proceeding warrants proposing the amendment of
Section 97.201(b) of our
Rules as Kenwood requests, and we seek comment on this proposal.117

73
Mike W4LNA