Re: HF satellite Antenna

At 05:43 PM 4/8/2004 -0400, you wrote:
> >I still didn't catch how you plan to deploy the antenna.
>
>Its wrapped around the cube 12 times in a slot...
>
> >Where would I find some of the wire, say 16.98 feet
> >or so, so I could do some testing?
>
>Thats the problem.  Nitinol comes in 6 foot lengths.
>Going to the MFR we can buy a 1800 foot spool
>for $1800... Ha!   Nitinol is that fancy wire that has
>excellent and programable memory.  Bend it to any
>shape and heat it to 900 deg and then cool.  It
>will hold that shape and remember it.  Then spool
>it up, and when unspooled it will return to the
>original shape.  In our case, its simply straight.
>
>Another problem is that it is quite resistive... but
>we can accept some loss. and end feeding it
>is a high Z process anyway...
>
>Bob

What about trying the old "tape measure" antenna....See what a 1/2 inch
wide tape would do.... I belive it has been used in the past. You wouldn't
even have to guess at the length when you cut it...

73, Bill N4XEO

E- Mail mailto: n4xeo@amsat.org
home page:        http://www.qsl.net/n4xeo
Fort Pierce arc:  http://www.qsl.net/w4akh