Re: Proposal: SDR-DSP receiver (was: Re: Cube sat and DSPs (was Re: cube sat))

Hello Achim,

I am doing something very similar. I have designed and built a small PCB (3.5 x
3.5 in.) that contains all the components for a stand-alone SDR but will also
operate over a high-speed USB interface. I've submitted an article to QEX that
describes the board and have accepted a volunteer position with the ARRL High
Speed Multimedia Working Group to define an OFDM RF modem for use in
constructing radio-linked metropolatin area networks. We're forming a small
group to do the software development, which will be open source.

My original motive was to write software to support analog and digital amateur
satellite operation using SSB and NBFM voice and 9.6-153.6 KBPS FSK modems. I
don't know when I will be able to get to that now. Perhaps someone else could
pick up that project using the hardware that I designed.

The board was designed to support open software development using free
development software from the Free Software Foundation and Xilinx. It is
designed around a 60 MIPS ARM7-TDMI 32-bit RISC MCU from Oki Semiconductor
(ML67Q5003) and a 4,320 logic element Xilinx Spartan-3 FPGA (XC3S200). The MCU
has a mask ROM that downloads software via an RS-232 or RS-485 port for
execution from its on-chip 32KB of RAM or 512KB flash ROM. The MCU has a 16-bit
parallel interface to the FPGA to access its on-chip 216K RAM and the MCU can
configure the FPGA via its JTAG port. The FPGA also has twelve 4ns 18x18
multipliers.

The RF interface is a 14-bit 40MSPS ADC (AD9244) that can sample signals up to
240MHz and a dual 128MSPS 14-bit DAC (AD9767). A 16-bit 24KSPS audio codec
(PCM3501) supports audio I/O and a USB interface chip (Agere USS2X1A) supports
12MBPS or 480MBPS digital I/O. There is also a low-speed ADC input and a SPI I/O
port provided by the MCU.

The OFDM modem group is planning to use ARM7 assembly language and C for the MCU
programming and Verilog for the FPGA programming. I've ordered sample parts for
twelve boards and could provide hardware to anyone willing to do serious
development that would support AMSAT satellite users.

When production FPGAs are available (18 weeks), I should be able to provide
hardware to users for under 200 USD.

Let me know if you are interested. I can provide a copy of the QEX article if
you are able to receive multi-megabyte mail messages. The same goes for other
AMSAT members.

73,

John
KD6OZH