Proposal: SDR-DSP receiver (was: Re: Cube sat and DSPs(was Re: cube sat))

Hello Hams,
This brings up a very interesting point, which I am thinking about right
now very intensely.. but I am lacking of some support and knowledge..

Remember the TAPR/Amsat DSP-93? I don't know it's shortcomings, but fact
is, it is discontinued.. I would like to so a step further and design an
all digital SDR-DSP receiver, quite similar to Moe Wheatley AE4JY and
Pieter Ibelings (N4IP), but with a small DSP behind, so you can use it
as a standalone receiver, rather than having to connect it to a PC.

Proposal is to is a 65 MSPS ADC with the digital down converter and
DSP.. so possible reception would be somwhere between 0.1 and 30 MHz.
Perhaps direct reception of the aliased image of 144 MHz (at 14 MHz)
would be possible as well.. a common problem like bad large signal
performace is negligible as we deal with sat-downlinks.. we don't have
large signals!!

What I have:

- a basic idea how this works
- some sample devices
- experience in layouting and a PCB company at hand.. :)

What I need:
- more people willing to join (!)
- some techies to iron out the bumps.. ;)
- some DSP coders.. I started digging into it but with some experience,
things like SSB, FM, AM and CW demodulation is a piece of cake..
- more ideas: this baby could also handle PSK31 or high speed PSK
decoding (anybody interested in decoding the deep-space probes?),
digital voice encoding (with forward error correction!).

I think this is a real challenge.. when keeping all open-source, this
could be a wonderful project pushing the limits !

Hpoing to trigger some discussion..

73s, Achim, DH2VA

--

     Achim Vollhardt