Re: RE: PCSAT Cost and Satellites

Bob,

Nice list, but you left out an item or two.  In no particular order:

- Design or buy a separation system that your ride is comfortable with,
then prove it works with testing
- Design your transmitter system so it can't come on while you are on the
rocket, then prove it can't possibly come on under any condition (but
assure yourself it will come on when you tell it to, but not before a few
hours in space to assure no corona problems).  If the Shuttle, make and
prove three ways that prevent the TX from coming on (and none can be "it
needs a command from the ground").
- Keep everything extraordinarily clean so you don't contaminate the rocket
or other payloads.
- Assure you don't use anything anywhere that will outgas in vacuum, then
prove it with a thermal vacuum test.
- Assure you don't use anything that will contaminate the TV test chamber,
like cadmium plated connectors
- Track the origin of all materials used so you can prove the last two
- Design your power system so you can recover from a totally dead battery
- Design your power system so it doesn't - through some error or bad
situation - pull the battery all the way down and kill it, or overcharge it
and kill it
- Prove parts won't fall off when you vibrate it to the levels expected for
launch, +6 dB
- Prove parts won't come loose inside under those conditions
- Assure the parts are arranged so the center of gravity is where the
launcher want's it, then prove it with a CG/MOI test
- Design it stiff enough so it's natural vibration frequency is > 100 hz so
it won't amplify the acoustic or mechanical vib from the launcher, yet no
so stiff as to 'ring'
- Tell the launcher exactly what you mass will be two to three years in
advance then hit it right on.
- Assure you fit in the envelope specified, including antennas
- If you have a deployable, expect to be able to prove it won't deploy when
it shouldn't under any combination of up to three failures
- If you have pyros, expect to use only 'approved' devices, expect
extraordinary safety measures, expect to prove they can't possibly fire
when they shouldn't under any combination of up to a zillion failures
- If either of the above add 1 year to the prep time and paper work 10
times the weight of the devices
- If your are going to charge batteries on the vehicle while awaiting
launch expect paper work in excess of the weight of the power supply
- Make darn sure you have a ground station that can in fact talk to your
satellite after launch
- Meet the magnetic cleanliness spec of the launcher and other payloads
- Prepare and test, then have approved, a set of written procedures for
every single evolution and contingency you need to do at the integration
and/or launch site.  Then darn well don't deviate from them.
- Expect 3 to 7 people looking over your shoulder constantly when doing
those procedures to assure you are safe and aren't deviating
- Provide all your vib, CG, MOI data to the launcher folks so they can do a
coupled loads analysis and assure the combined affect of all the payloads
meets the launcher spec
- Design the power system so shorts in it won't cause the batteries to
explode or outgas bad stuff -or cause the wires to burn up and contaminate
other stuff or start a fire, then prove it with testing,
- Provide your bird, or an accurate model, for a fit check with the
launcher a year or three in advance, then don't deviate from that
- If on the shuttle assure all external fasteners are staked so nothing can
possibly come off and foul the separation mechanism.
- Also assure there are no sharp things sticking out that could puncture a
space suit.
- Design a way to absorb anything that does leak from your batteries so it
doesn't contaminate other payloads, the rocket, the sep mechanism
- When you go to the launch site be prepared to wait around (or leave your
bird and come back) for weeks or months
- Build a mass dummy so if your precious satellite craps out at the last
minute you can hand the launcher something that has the same mass, CG/MOI
for them to launch.  Grit your teeth, pay the money, but keep your
satellite to fix and fly a few years later.

Jim